If you are interested in becoming a board member, please contact:
The Board of Directors (BOD) is the organized group of volunteers who, collectively, are legally and morally accountable to the community for the health, vitality, and effectiveness. BOD members comprise of community members, educators, and stakeholders who are interested in the betterment of the school and advancing the OGCS mission.
The Board’s primary role is “Governance”, which encompasses legal responsibilities, general oversight, planning and policy-making, and meeting fiduciary requirements. The Board only has authority when it votes as a group. No single member has authority for the board as a whole.
The Board must ensure the School’s compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. It must also ensure that the Board itself is operating in accordance with the rules set out by all applicable California laws and regulations. The following principles should guide Board members:
- Duty of Care: The Board member owes the duty to exercise reasonable care when he or she makes a decision as a steward of the Olive Grove Charter Schools, Inc.
- Duty of Loyalty: A Board member must give undivided allegiance when making decisions affecting the Olive Grove Charter Schools, Inc. This means that a Board member can never use information obtained as a member for personal gain, but must act in the best interest of the organization.
- Duty of Obedience: This requires a Board member to be faithful to the school’s mission. They must act in a way that is consistent with the central goals of the school. The basis of the rule lies in the public’s trust that the school will manage funds to fulfill its mission. Each Board member of the Olive Grove Charter Schools, Inc affirms the expectations outlined below, and strives to perform accordingly. All Board members are treated equally when it comes to these expectations. Board members are expected to:
- Believe in and be an active advocate and ambassador for the mission and vision of the Organization. Act in accordance with the values of the Olive Grove Charter Schools, Inc.
- Work with fellow Board members to fulfill the obligations of membership.
- Contribute to the effective operation of the Board, including but not limited to:
- Focus on the good of the School and the group, not a personal agenda.
- Support Board decisions, once they are made.
- Participate in the appraisal of his/her own performance and the performance of Board committees.
- Support the School’s policies and procedures and support the Board’s ground rules for conducting business.
- Work with fellow Board members to assure that the Board functions well.
- Regularly attend and participate in Board meetings of the School. Prepare for these meetings by reviewing materials and bringing the materials to the meetings. Challenge assumptions and ask questions during meetings.
- Keep informed about the School and its issues by reviewing materials, participating in discussion, and asking strategic questions.
- Participate in the performance review of the School’s Executive Director.
- Participate in the activities of the School by attending programs and fundraising events.
- Help support the charitable contributions of the School by:
- Contributing financially to the best of personal ability.
- Participate in a fundraising activity or carry out a fundraising task.
- Help identify and cultivate relationships to support the School as donors, volunteers, and advocates.
- As appropriate, use personal and professional contacts and expertise for the benefit of the School.
- Be available to serve as a committee or task force chair or member. Be prepared and be an active participant.
- Inform the Board of Directors of the School of any potential conflicts of interest, whether real or perceived, and abide by the decision of the Board related to the situation.
- Be very clear about the Board and Board members’ relationship to the Director and staff. Focus on governance rather than management.
- Agree to step down from the Board of Directors if unable to fulfill these expectations.